The Newton Police Department will be taking the following precautions/protocols due to current health concerns surrounding the Corona virus:
• The main lobby entrance door to the Police Department will remain locked. There is an intercom located within the left side of the vestibule. Please press the button and wait to be addressed by the dispatcher. You will be asked a series of questions. If the matter is urgent you will be allowed into the lobby. If the matter is non-emergent, you will be directed to contact the Police Department by phone to make a report to an officer.
• If you call the police station or 911 you will be asked a similar set of questions.
• It is extremely important that you answer the questions so that we can alert first responders of your condition and the conditions in your home PRIOR to their response. If you are quarantined (MANDATORY OR SELF-IMPOSED) in your home due to possible or confirmed COVID-19 exposure, PLEASE notify 911 when you call and advise the dispatcher.
• Officers will still be the 1st responders to your home. If the matter is emergent, the officers will perform their duty as usual. If the matter is non-emergent the officers will not enter your home but will speak to you accordingly.
• We also ask that you place a sign/note on your front door to alert our personnel to take infection-prevention precautions before entering your home or business. Officers will be asking a series of questions before they enter your home. Please respect this procedure and recognize that it also protects you and your family.
• If we do have to respond to your home, do not be offended if officers ask you to step outside and speak to him/her.
• If you have a complaint, and it is non-emergent, CALL (973) 383-2525 FIRST!
• If you have a question, in regards to any matter and it is non-emergent, it may be handled by phone without an officer’s response to the residence.
• All requests for records may be handled over the phone.
• All court dates are suspended until further notice. Please contact (973) 383-3521 if you have a question regarding a pending case.
• All Newton Recreation Programs are suspended. See the Town of Newton website for more details.
• All schools are temporarily conducting remote learning until at least 3/27/20. There is the possibility that the Governor extends this, so keep checking the school’s website.
• All Police station tours, fingerprinting requests, have been suspended.
• Driver licenses, Registrations, and Inspections all have been extended. See https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/ for more details.
• We need to minimize our exposure to be able to continually provide the community with the professionalism and high standards you’ve come to expect.
• Please consider creating a safety profile for your family at Smart911.com. This will help us by furnishing certain important information during emergencies (medical information, emergency contacts, etc.) and allow you to sign up to receive alerts and important information from emergency responders. Additional information about Smart911 is available on our website at newtonpolice.org.
Thank You in advance for your patience and understanding.