Use of the New Jersey Firearms Application Registration System (FARS) is now the preferred method for completing firearms applications. Utilize the instructions below to submit your applications. Contact Firearms Investigator Michael Wolanski at (973) 383-2525 or firstname.lastname@example.org for any needed assistance.
Firearms Application Registration System (FARS) Application Procedure for Applicants
If you currently have a Firearms ID Card and are applying for Purchasers Permits, log on to the below site which will guide you through the SBI records check process.
- Visit www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
- Click, “Online S.T.S. 033 Form“.
- Enter NJ0191500 as ORI Number.
- Proceed to complete the on-line application.
- When completing the application, you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references (note: references may be family members).
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process.
- Once your application is complete, the Newton Police Department will contact you for issuance of your Firearms ID Card and/or pistol purchase permit documents.
- Payment for these documents will be accepted at this time.
- Payment may be made with a check, money order or cash.
- Checks and money orders are to be made out to “Town of Newton”.
The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and email addresses for yourself and your references. It is preferred that you utilize the online process to complete the application and related paperwork. However, if you are unable to complete it online, please contact the Firearms Applicant Investigator, Patrolman Michael Wolanski, who will assist you. Incorrect information entered will cause a delay in the processing of your application.
The Newton Police Department participates in Project ChildSafe. The goal of this initiative is to inform and educate all firearms owners on key safety issues and to provide firearms safety kits that include a gun-locking device. Free gun locks can be obtained at Police Headquarters or by contacting Ptl. Wolanski.